WATERLOO Tractor Manuals PDF
Waterloo Tractors History
There’re some WATERLOO Tractor Service Manuals PDF above the page.
In 1893, John Froelich and a group of businessmen formed the Waterloo Gasoline Engine Company, which manufactured and sold gasoline-powered agricultural tractors.
Froelich invented the first practical car with a gasoline engine, and the new company was able to manufacture and sell the unit designed by Froelich.
The car with a gasoline engine, which Froelich created, later began to be called a “tractor”. The assembly carried out in a small blacksmith shop in Waterloo, Iowa.
The tractor controlled from the front platform, without a seat for the operator. There were important levers on both sides of the platform, and the steering was done through a worm gear.
On the left side of the platform was a long-handled lever that engaged/disengaged the belt pulley, and on the right side of the platform was a second long-handled lever that served as a gear shifter, clutch and brake.
In 1917, John received a patent for this control system design.
The main fuel tank was located behind the operator. Above it was the pump handle, which also forced the gasoline to rise to the reserve tank.
The tractor had forward and reverse gears and a Van Duzen engine that used an early carburetor and hot-tube ignition.
Over time, several other companies began to manufacture and sell units of similar design, but the Waterloo Gasoline Engine Company tractors were among the most popular.
Waterloo and Deere & Company
In 1918, Deere & Company purchased the Waterloo Gasoline Engine Company for $2,100,000.
Deere & Company was eager to enter the growing tractor market, but its own initial projects proved unsuccessful.
The executives of Deere & Company decided to purchase Waterloo Gasoline Engine Co. because field tests showed that the tractor produced by this company had the best characteristics.
After the sale completed, the company known as the John Deere Tractor Company, but tractors manufactured by the company continued to sale under the old brand name until 1923, when the John Deere Model D introduced.